6.01.2010

In Memoriam...

On Sunday, John and I spent the afternoon putting flowers and flags on the grave sites of our grandparents, great-grandparents, and great-aunts and uncles. As we visited each site, I thought about how connected my daughter is to each and every one of them. While she did not personally know them, she gets many traits from them. Her blue eyes undoubtedly came from my Grandpa and Grandma Harlow. The shape of her face is much like John's Grandma Nellie's face. I am also sure Mac's stubborn streak and determination is due in part to each one! Who Mackenna is, and who her parents are, comes from these family members. Besides genetics, many of them have given much more to John and I. They held us, inspired us, encouraged us, comforted us, made us laugh, and loved us. The way we look at the world is different due to their influence on our lives. We have very vivid memories of most of them, memories that we will cherish until the day we die. We remember them fondly, and we can not wait to share these stories one day with Mackenna.

It also makes me wonder what will happen when I am gone and my body is buried in the ground. It may sound morbid, but I did think about it Sunday. I know I will be rejoicing in Heaven, but will future generations have enough respect for me to put flowers on my grave? Will they take time to think about beautiful moments in time we have had together when those flowers are placed in the ground? I think those flowers are a symbol of a life of love these people lived. I just hope that I will influence others in the same way they have influenced me.

In Memoriam of those who have gone before:
Raymond and Ruth Harlow (Heather's Maternal Grandparents)
Judge James D and Almeda Clemens (John's Paternal Grandparents)
Sylvester "Vet" and Nellie Smith (John's Maternal Grandparents)
George W and Nellie Smith (John's Great-Grandparents)
Elkanah Smith (John's Great-Great Grandfather)
Hoyt Hendren (Heather's Paternal Grandfather)
Harvey and Lucy Harlow (Heather's Great-Grandparents)
Colonel William Wigger (Heather's Great-Uncle)
Rue Curtis and Gladys Hudson (Heather's Great-Grandparents)
L. Louise Hudson (Heather's Great-Aunt)
Dr. Harry and Zella MayBell Norton (Heather's Great-Great Uncle and Aunt)

We also took pictures of the grave stones to post on Ancestry.com (may be morbid too, but lots of people do it for posterity!).



No comments:

Followers