6.08.2010

Reflections on My Dad...




For the last two days I have been working on some projects for my dad and my father-in-law. These are projects we will be giving them for Father's Day. I have also been thinking of what to give John for Father's Day this year. It needs to be something meaningful, while at the same time something within our budget. Hmmm! No worries though; I think I already have it picked out!

Father's Day and Mother's Day mean a lot to John and I. These are two days I think many people may take for granted. We definitely do not, as the journey here was a very rough and sorrowful one. Yet, when we had Mackenna she became the ray of sunshine that filtered out the darkness we had experienced. As I have become a parent, I realize now how tough it truly is. I have a brand new respect for my parents and the sacrifices they made as I was growing up. I think it actually makes me love them more, even though I did not think that was possible.

I will say upfront and proudly: I have a great Dad! He is a fantastic Dad and Grandpa for so many reasons! He makes me laugh like no one else on earth does! My Dad is just a very charismatic person with a wonderful sense of humor! He enjoys laughing, and I think all of his children inherited his love of laughter. Through my Dad, I learned that one day with out laughter truly is a day wasted. John and I have used humor many times to diffuse an argument or just to get through a bad day. For that, I will always be thankful to my Dad!

When I was growing up, my Dad worked hard for his family. After I was born, my mom stayed home with me while my Dad provided an income for us. My mom asked me last year if I remembered my Dad being away from home a lot, and honestly I didn't. I think it's because we made the best out of the time we had. It was definitely the quality of time and not the quantity that mattered. What I remember the most are the family vacations each summer; the trips to the zoo, a Cardinals baseball game, or the Magic House in St Louis; my Dad coaching my baseball team, as well as my brothers' teams; and all the time he spent with me while I was learning to drive (and it was a lot of heartburn inducing time!). I remember the Christmas mornings my exhausted Dad would come down the stairs and smile and laugh as he watched his children play with their new toys. I remember how proud he was when my baby brother, Andrew, was born. Every morning I woke up and saw my Dad on television when I was in school. To say I thought that was cool, is an understatement! I remember watching my Dad cook meals, all the while learning how to use spices and add the right amount of heat to dishes. The first time I attempted to make a chocolate bundt cake (when I was thirteen), it came out like cardboard. Yet, my Dad crunched his way through his slice commenting about "how good" it was. Of course, I will always remember the overprotective father who rarely had a nice thing to say about any guy I dated (thankfully he liked John!). He could easily strike fear in the hearts of boys who came to the door. And what teenage girl could do without that?!

My Dad (and my mom) taught me about values, ethics, and faith. Without my parents, I would not have the faith in God and within myself that I have today. I would not have been able to have the marriage I have today without their example. My Dad also taught me something else that was very important. He taught me from a very early age that I could do anything I put my mind to. The sky truly was the limit! He told me that just because I was a girl, I was not limited as to what I could achieve. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you know your parents believe in you and your potential.

So from the bottom of my heart....Thanks Dad! Hoping you have a wonderful Fathers Day this year! I love you, and I thank you for everything you have been and are to me. I found a quote this week that states, "Great fathers get promoted to Grandfathers!" How true, how true! Mackenna definitely loves her "Pa Pa."

Mackenna is truly blessed to have the Grandfathers she has! Both love her unconditionally and take pride in the cutie and miracle that she is! And I can not even begin to describe how much John loves his Mac! I am truly blessed to have a husband that would lay down his life for his family. I will share my admiration for John in a later post....;)



No comments:

Followers