Father's Day is Sunday. It is a day set aside for us to honor our fathers, while also showing our appreciation to them. Last week I blogged about how thankful I am to my Dad. Today I wanted to write about how thankful I am for my husband.
John and I have had a long road to becoming parents. We lived through nine years of agonizing pain and torture, yet we were given a tremendous and beautiful gift at the end of those nine years. Parenthood is embraced in our house, and our child truly is treated like a princess. The decisions we make center around her and her needs. We receive many rewards as a result. Every "chubby arm hug" and every slobbery kiss we receive from Mackenna is cherished beyond measure. When she says, "wuv you" back to us it is the best medicine to cure all ills. My heart almost bursts outside of my chest. They are moments you want to freeze in time. They are moments to be etched in your memory and heart forever.
My husband embraces being a Daddy with all of his being. He works hard for us, working three jobs to support his family. And yet, he tells me I have the hardest job. He puts in all his effort, all his strength to being a great provider. I can never begin to let him know how much I appreciate him and how hard he works. Of course this means he also misses out on time spent with his daughter. The quantity of time we spend together then becomes quality time, as we try to find fun things to do as a family on his day off. He could decide to "blow off steam" or sit in front of the TV on his day off. Yet, he doesn't. Instead, he wants to be with his girls, enjoying the love and joy only a family can give.
Since having Mackenna, I have heard the phrase, "The best thing a parent can do for their child is to love their parent." John and I both believe this. I do not think Mackenna will grow up wondering if her parents love each other. I think she will see by our daily example that we are still deeply in love. I hope she will learn what a loving marriage should be by our example, as I learned by my parents' example. I would gladly shout it out to the world that I have a wonderful husband! Not once in 13 years have I ever felt unloved by John. Every day, he shows how much he loves me by a word, a phrase, a call, a kiss, or a hug. More than that, he shows he loves me in the little things as well, such as washing dishes when I don't feel good; taking Mackenna for a walk so I can clean house; or going along with one of my ideas for a "fun filled family day" when he would rather take a nap. All those ways, big and small, show me how much he loves me. I am truly blessed!
I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that John would lay down his life for Mackenna. She has truly become our world. John is so grateful to God to have the opportunity to be a Dad. He has always embraced every aspect of it, even if reluctantly (changing dirty diapers is definitely not a job he relishes!). There have been many times since we have had Mackenna that John would get "vaklempt" by something she did. After the first six months of her life, I could see those moments coming as he would get misty eyed. I used to ask, "Are you going to cry again?" And he'd say, "Maybe I am." We'd have a laugh over it, and then be amazed by something else Mackenna would do. I have never said this to John before, but those were some of my favorite moments in becoming parents. If a wife is not moved in seeing how strongly her husband embraces becoming a father, I do not know what else would do it! Watching your husband well up with emotion because his heart is so full with gratitude to God and love for his child truly is a gift. It is a gift I will never forget!
Since Mackenna has been born, I have fallen more in love with John. There was a time when I would not have thought that possible. If we had not had Mackenna, I would have missed out on seeing traits and sides of him that only being a Daddy could have brought out. The love and pride he has for his daughter are second to none. He wants the best for her, all the while keeping her safe in the world around her. He is a great Daddy and husband, and I will always be grateful to God for blessing me!
Happy Father's Day John! We love you!
How to add a Pinterest Widget to your blog
12 years ago








No comments:
Post a Comment