6.19.2010

Everyone Poops...

I will admit that as a new parent, I became obsessed with my child's poop. I have learned that most new parents do. You worry if they poop enough, if it is hard enough, if it is the right color, etc. You quickly gauge your child's overall health by what they are putting out. I remember calling the nurse's line at my pediatrician's office when Mackenna was being weaned off breast milk and drinking formula to ask a question about poop. As I was changing her diaper, I saw a color I had never seen before in my lifetime. I was told as long as a baby's poop is earth tone colored, it's all good. That has been my guiding principle these last two years. Fortunately for us we rarely have dealt with diarrhea (thank goodness). Mackenna was 21 months old before we ever had to deal with it (unfortunately it was in the van as we driving across the state of Nebraska)! You may be asking....has Heather gone off the deep end? Why a post on poop? Let me tell you why....

For the past couple weeks, Mackenna has transitioned from diapers to pull ups. I have not truly "given it my all" in potty training her because I know she really doesn't have much interest in it. Due to the fact that she is only talking when she wants to adds some extra complications. She has yet to pee in the potty. When I sit her on her padded toilet seat, she looks at me as if to say, "What? This again? What exactly do you want me to do here?" She has started to run to the bathroom in the past few days when I tell her it is time to sit on the potty. I thought that was a great thing....until tonight. I am happy to report that Mackenna pooped in the potty for the first time a little while ago!

Some of you may be thinking I am sharing too much information, but as a parent, I am ecstatic my child pooped in the potty! I heard the grunting noises and knew we needed to make a mad dash to the bathroom, which we did. I praised Mackenna and praised her some more, clapped my hands, and yelled "Yeah" at the top of my lungs. I received a huge smile in return. She was actually quite proud of herself! So how long will it be before we can repeat it?! The world may never know.... :)

No comments:

Followers