2.03.2010

Eating Like A King...

I have now been unemployed for 3 months. For someone who has been working since I was 12, it is an oddity not to have a job. When Mackenna was born I had taken maternity leave for a couple months. Then 3 months later, I started working part-time for STAT. Working is what I have known. It has always been a constant in my life.

While my child keeps me very busy during the day (and some days are busier than others), I have to say I miss working. I loved the flexibility of my last job. Working from home and commuting to Jefferson City once a week was perfect. It allowed Mackenna some time to socialize with other kids, while it gave me the opportunity for adult conversation during the week. I now have so much free time on my hands, I often do not know what to do with it! If only it was not winter time....

Some of that spare time has been coming up with new recipes and new dishes to try. Food Network should be banned in my home, as I have been watching a lot of it. However, I do not believe my husband would agree. John would tell you he has been eating like a king during these last couple months. At Christmas time, I made hundreds of cookies and candy for his fellow employees. I really have to admit that I did not enjoy baking very much until December. Something inside me changed though as I baked surprise sugar cookies, chocolate marshmallow cookies, peanut butter kiss cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and red velvet crisps. I was actually enjoying baking for the first time in my life! For Christmas I made toll house pies and apple butter pumpkin pies. I baked rolls (thanks to my sister-in-law Robyn for the recipe!) and dipped candy till I bought out all the almond bark at the grocery store in New London! During the last month, I have made my dad sugar free brownies with butterscotch chips and pecans on top. I have baked banana bread and experimented with my new "Perfect Brownie Pan." I have made yet another toll house pie and experimented with cheddar garlic biscuits.

Yet I think I have made my husband the happiest when I tried a new steak recipe. My mom and dad came over for dinner Friday night. For the first time in my life I made Filet Mignon. We also had twice baked potatoes, green bean casserole, mushrooms sauteed in marsala wine and garlic, and cheddar-garlic biscuits (the pic is above). When a silent hush fills the room as everyone is eating their steak, I take that as a compliment. When my husband tells me my steak needs no sauce, I see that as an achievement. When my husband tells me he is eating one of the best steaks ever to grace his plate, I am happy that I have made his taste buds happy. But when my dad tells me his steak is cooked perfectly, I take that as one of the highest compliments I could ever get! Unfortunately, my parents had to endure a lot of my cooking wrongs when I was growing up. The least I could have done was treat them to some awesome steak!

This week I also made John's tummy happy with French Toast. He will tell you I make some of the best French Toast he has ever had. I do not know sometimes whether he is being truthful or just being nice. Tonight, he told my dad it was some of the best French Toast he has ever eaten; I guess he is truly being sincere! Last night, I fixed cinnamon bread, sliced and dipped into an egg mixture. After pulling it from the pan, I topped it with pecans I had toasted and caramel sauce. It of course had lots of powdered sugar on it too. Mackenna most certainly enjoyed it!

This week I will be experimenting again with Bisquick and a macaroni and cheese casserole. That will have to wait though for tomorrow night I am treating my husband like a king. There is a fat Filet Mignon in the fridge with his name on it!

No comments:

Followers