People are not kidding when they say 2 year olds are sponges! I can not believe all the knowledge Mackenna is absorbing in that little brain of hers. While we are still not consistently talking, she will definitely let you know how she feels. However, it is difficult to read her at times. I have tried to withold things from her until she tells me what she wants. I think that is more frustrating for a parent than a child! There are times I don't think she will ever talk, and the anxiety starts to set in. However, we have friends who have told us of their experiences parenting a child who talks late. They all say the same thing: she will do it when she is ready. There are times she will talk when she feels it necessary. A couple weeks ago, a friend's mom tried to pick her up at a birthday party. She asked her, "Mackenna can I hold you?" And Mackenna said, "uh uhh." Last week when I asked her if she wanted to take a nap, she shook her head and said "No."
We now have child proof locks on all the food cabinets in the house. 3 of them have had child proof locks on them for quite a while. We have a pie safe on our back porch that Mackenna had never paid attention to until this week. While I was cooking in the kitchen, she walked over to the cabinet and brought me a box of Whales (Stauffer's answer to goldfish). She is constantly picking up containers of food and bringing them to me. If it is in reach, she is going to grab it. Just this morning she picked up a jar of animal crackers and brought them to me.
She definitely loves her Grandma Fay and Grandpa Ron! Thursday we had to get the headlights repaired on the van. John had a board meeting that night, so I was without a vehicle. My mom and dad came over so my dad could drive me over to pick up the van, and my mom stayed with Mackenna. A few minutes before they came over I told Mackenna Mommy had to pick up the van. I told her Grandma Fay would be staying with her for a few minutes while Mommy was gone. With a big smile on her face, she said, "Ma Ma." When I left, she fussed a couple seconds and then was fine with her Grandma. Her new name for my mom is "Ma Ma." She only says it when Grandma is around or when you tell her Grandma and Grandpa are coming over.
Friday night we ate at Mama Mia's, a restaurant about two minutes from our house. We usually eat there once a week with my parents. When we started taking the road towards the restaurant, Mackenna started kicking her feet and laughing. When John came over to take her out of the car seat, she started calling for her "Ma Ma." We explained to her that Grandma and Grandpa were not eating with us that night. She looked for them when we went into the restaurant for a couple minutes and called for "Ma Ma" again. John told her Grandma and Grandpa were at home, and she was okay with that.
Her physical development is continuing to improve and change. She is about 35 inches tall and weighs 30 pounds. She is now a pro climbing our hide-a-bed couch. She loves to get up on the couch and look out the window. She also likes to watch TV from the couch. Bailey is not so happy with Mackenna's new skill. She often gets down as soon as Mackenna gets up on the couch. Talk about a sensitive dog!
Last night we were in Wal-Mart when I learned Mackenna has a skill Mommy does not. She was in the cart and started rolling her "R"s. That is something I have always tried to do but am not able to. John can not do it either so she must get it from Grandpa Ron. I am a bit jealous!
We will have to see what this week will hold. Mackenna continues to amaze me. As a parent, I always learn something new about my child. It is the greatest adventure I have ever been on! And as learn more about her, I also learn more about myself. She inspires me to be my best, even when I am exhausted or frustrated. I truly believe God placed this beautiful, funny little girl in our lives and hearts to teach us more about faith, love, stewardship, responsibility, exhaustion, boundaries, fun, laughter, and joy.
Without a doubt, there will be something new!
How to add a Pinterest Widget to your blog
12 years ago







No comments:
Post a Comment