2.15.2010

One Stubborn Girl...

I often tell people that being a parent is both the most rewarding and difficult job I have ever had. Last week had me focusing on the difficult parts.

By this stage in Mackenna's life, she should be saying at least 50 words. She says about 6 to 8 words, with not much consistency. When I started looking up speech delays on line last week, my mind wandered to places it should not go. I started worrying that my baby could have Autism, as well as a host of other afflictions and problems. My mom had told me I was getting way ahead of myself, and I knew I probably was. Yet, if you are a good parent, you are constantly worrying about your child's well-being.

I have often explained it like this: I would lay down my life to save John, but I would desperately lay down my life to save Mackenna. She is a part of me. We have a bond that I do not have with another person on this earth. This bond comes from the nine + months she spent growing inside my womb, as God was putting the finishing touches on this beautiful, lovely little girl.

We took Mackenna to see our pediatrician in Columbia Friday. While many people had reassured us that she was a smart little girl that would talk when she wanted to, we wanted to make sure there was not anything wrong. I have to admit I went into the pediatrician's office with some trepidation. I was just praying that everything would be okay, and he would tell us she was fine.

What Dr. Beal told us is that we have a child that is stubborn and strong-willed. She is actually advanced in some areas but not talking. He really thinks she could do it; she is just choosing not to. Dr Beal said the fact that her dad was a late talker and that she has aunts/uncles that were late talkers puts her at a triple disadvantage. He said she is actually kind of developing like a boy would rather than a girl because she is so concentrated on physical achievements rather than verbal. She passed her hearing test, and she has no signs of Autism. He told me I read too much stuff on the Internet (which John totally agreed with). :)

He asked if we read to her each day, and we told him we do. When we told him that she will turn pages as you read, he told us that is not normal for a 2 year old to do. John told him that if you skip a page in a book, Mackenna will go back to the page. Dr. Beal told us he knows why we are so frustrated with her not talking. We are going to start speech therapy at Hannibal Regional really more just to make her start using words. He said we could wait until she is 3, but with her advancement in other areas we should start now. He told us with her stubborn streak, we will have a lot of fun when she turns 16.

After our visit, we took Mackenna to Toys R Us. As a Valentine's gift we got Mackenna a motion sensored Little Mommy Peek A Boo doll. It had stopped and plain as day she said, "Do it again" asking me to re-start it. I just looked at John, and he said, "Yeah I heard it too." Exasperating, but that is what I get for wanting a head-strong, expressive child! :)

Now we are waiting to hear back from a speech therapist. The next few months may be a long and hard road, but we will do it all for Mackenna. I can't wait to hear what she will say about it! :)

No comments:

Followers