4.28.2010

Insights and Other Things...

 

Last week, Mackenna and I spent 5 nights in San Angelo, Texas visiting Grandma and Grandpa Clemens, Uncle David and Aunt Robyn, and Aunt Karisa and Angela. We had such a great time being able to catch up with family, as well as being able to meet our niece/cousin. Along the way, I learned some things; some things about myself and my child.

First things first, Mackenna: I learned that my 2 year old is an excellent traveller! We drove over 850 miles to Texas and the same mileage on the way home. She did not complain once. She did not cry, she did not scream, she did not whine. Instead, she sat in the back seat watching her DVD player, listened to Michael Buble, ate her snacks and drank her juice, looked out the windows at the changing scenery, and laughed when the wind blew her hair. I also learned that my child has an innate sense of trust in her mother! Otherwise, her actions and face would have shown otherwise. She was content to go with the flow, as long as Mommy was directing her. That is such a huge responsibility, and one that I have never taken lightly! The bond we have has been created out of love, and it will continue to grow and change as she gets older. I am laying the foundation now for the future. One day she will be able to tell her friends that she and her mom had quite an adventure; we travelled through three states and logged 1600 miles in the car, just the two of us. I could not have asked for a better travel partner!

What I learned about myself is that I am more resilient than I give myself credit for. I tackled some fears by taking this trip, and I conquered them. I only had myself to rely on, and I felt quite empowered. I caught a glimpse of that 23 year old, strong, independent young woman who always wanted to take on the world and let no one stand in her way! While I have mellowed some since then, it is good to know that she still lives inside me! I also learned that my husband is a constant amazement to me. I am sure he was a bit nervous letting us go on this trip by ourselves, yet he did not stand in my way. We had to have faith in God and ourselves that everything would be okay (and it was!).

One thing that I already knew (and did not have to learn) is that family is everything! This past week reiterated that to me once again. Mackenna and I had such a great time reconnecting with family and enjoying the time we got to spend with them. I want Mackenna to grow up knowing her grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins. I look at family as being an enveloping, big, warm hug that always seems to be there when you need it the most. Even though some families are not always physically together, the time they do get to see each other are special moments, filled with laughter and uplifting conversation. I want Mackenna to be making great family memories. I want her to experience the joy that only family gives. I want her to experience the unconditional love a family member gives another, just simply because you are a part of them. I want her to be comfortable in her own skin, as well as in her own family. I want her to know what it feels like to have an uncle who will put you on his shoulders and bounce you up and down while you laugh hysterically. Or what it feels like to have a Grandma that will swing you around until you get dizzy, laughing all the time. Thank you Grandpa Larry, Grandma Colleen, Uncle David, Aunt Robyn, and Aunt Karisa and Angela for providing that to her! Looking forward to many more memories for Mackenna to cherish!



1 comment:

Hillary Clemens said...

Heather~ I love this post. I'm not supposed to want to cry at my kitchen table in the morning! I'm so glad you got to go to Texas and I wish that I could have been there for all the reasons you wrote about. I love my family more the bigger that it gets.

I also love the piece of history this gave you and Mac. Having evidence of your bravery, commradery, and can-do is worth so much.

Thanks for writing so well about family. Can't wait to see you guys again.

Followers