One of the most important decisions you make for your child is their name. I grew up having a pretty popular name. When I was in college in Kirksville, there were six other Heathers on my dorm wing. Of course, John had been the number one boys name for decades. When we chose Mackenna's name, John and I both wanted something a little different for our daughter. We did not want her to have a name like everyone else's, and I was really looking for a name with Irish descent. While McKenna (different spelling) has found its way on to the top 100 lists, it is still pretty far down the list. When I was pregnant with Mac, we debated her name for months. A boy's name was no problem. Within 5 minutes, we quickly settled on a name we could agree on. A girl's name was a whole different story. I had an ultrasound at 21 weeks, and we found out the baby was a girl. While I was on the table, we agreed her name should be Mackenna.
Naming our child while they are in the womb is important to John. He really wants to use the baby's name before they are born. While Mackenna was in the womb, he would talk to her using her name. When she was born, she was screaming before she ever came out! When they brought her to us, all we had to do was say her name and tell her everything was okay. She immediately calmed down. John loved that moment. He loves that she knew her name from the very beginning. He so wants our second child to have that same experience.
So now we are in the midst of the name debate again. If it is a boy, his name is firm. It is the same name we picked out three years ago. A girl's name is the subject of discussion again. A few weeks ago, we thought we had settled on the name Delaney. It was actually kind of perfect because John's grandpa's middle name was Delavan, and my dad's middle name is Layne. We thought a perfect nickname for her would be Laney. However, I have since changed my mind. I like so many names John does not and vice versa. I really like the name Maggie, yet my grandma hates it. Her name is Margaret, and she hated the nickname Maggie growing up. Yet, I think it's pretty perfect. John is on the fence about it. He really likes the name Elise, but I do not. He likes old fashioned names such as Rachel and Katherine. I tend to like more modern names such as Brianna and Jordyn. I really like the name Katelyn, but John is afraid someone would give her the nickname, "Katie." He just does not like the combination of "Katie Clemens." Thus...we are still in the middle of the debate.
Currently, I am at 15 weeks and will probably have an ultrasound at 20 weeks to find out the gender of the baby. Unlike last time, I do not think there will be any magical moments of "Aha" while having the ultrasound if this baby is a girl. I think this debate will go on for more than five weeks! Oh well, we have about six months to figure it out, right? ;)
How to add a Pinterest Widget to your blog
12 years ago






No comments:
Post a Comment