3.20.2010

Irish Pride

On Wednesday, St. Patrick's Day, I fixed a traditional Irish meal for family and friends. Irish Stew, Champ, Cottage Pie, Irish Soda Bread, and Irish Apple Cake were just some of the menu choices. It really does do my heart good to prepare these meals on St. Patrick's Day. In some way, it helps me to some how connect with my family members of the past. It makes me wonder about the Hendrens who lived in Ireland and emmigrated to America so I could be sitting where I sit now. It also makes me wonder about the existing Hendrens living in Ireland. Do we have the same lineage? Where exactly did our family orignate from?

I have been watching a show on Friday nights called, "Who Do You Think You Are?" Emmit Smith and Lisa Kudrow are the two celebrities I have watched so far. It is a very interesting and thought provoking show. During the last two episodes, both Emmit Smith and Lisa Kudrow had to deal with the fact that their ancestors dealt with some of the most horrific attrocities ever committed: slavery and the Holocaust. Both of these people look at their families in very different lights now. They realize the sacrifices that have been made to bring them to the place they are.


I then wonder about my own family members. What were their sacrifices and their struggles? Because honestly, we all have them. They may pale in comparison to generations before us, but we all have struggles. I want to be a person that future generations can look at with admiration. We all leave a legacy....and we all have a part in what that legacy will be. What do we want to be remembered for?

No comments:

Followers