12.06.2010

Family Time...

It is so hard to believe we were traveling to Texas two weeks ago! Wow, how the time has seemed to fly by! We were blessed to spend five nights in San Angelo, TX with my in-laws over Thanksgiving. Due to our distance, we do not get to see each other very often. It is always a special time when the whole family gets together!

While we were in San Angelo, we stayed with John's sister, Robyn, her husband, David, and our nearly 2 month old niece, Alasyn. We so appreciate Robyn and David hosting us! I know how hectic life can be with a newborn. Hosting three extra people and two extra dogs is a job within itself! They were such gracious hosts, and we always have such a great time with them! Laughter and conversation are always in ample supply when the now six of us (+ four dogs) get together! I also enjoyed holding my new niece! I can not even remember Mackenna being that small, even though I know she was! I am so looking forward to having another little one! It gave me plenty of practice for April.

I also enjoyed spending time with our 10 month old niece, Angela. She is such a good, happy baby who smiles most of the time. She was definitely enamored with Mackenna. I even have pictures of the two of them looking at each other while we were taking family photos. Very cute! Angela was definitely intrigued by her older cousin. She pulled Mac's hair, tried to climb on top of her, and would touch the iPhone when Mac was playing with it. In other words, Mackenna got plenty of practice for April too! :) I am sure these three girls will become the best of friends as they get older!

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family.  Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one."  ~Jane Howard

I so like the above quote! I think we all do need a family. It is a unit in which we belong. They are people we identify with as we see ourselves in the faces of those we love. We see our past, our memories, as well as our hopes and dreams in the faces of our parents, our sisters, our brothers, our nieces and nephews. Family is an ever enveloping hug that we all seem to have at just the right moment. I will not say having family so far away is ever easy. For the Clemens and Becker clan, it just means we have to cherish and make the most of every moment we do have together. Every minute counts, and it seems to go by at lightning speed! No amount of time ever seems to be enough to spend together. There is always laughter unheard, conversations unspoken, games not played, movies not watched....all in the name of time. Yet, there is also pure joy and contentment that comes from just being together, just knowing you are with people who love you unconditionally, just knowing you are in a house full of warmth and love.

I wanted to send out a special "shout out" to my in-laws before I close this blog entry. Each of you has a special place in the hearts of John, Mackenna, and myself. We love each of you and thank you for such a great time over Thanksgiving!

Larry and Colleen--Thank you for being such great parents, in-laws, and grandparents! The love you have for your family is immense. You see the gift in having all four of your children, son-in-law, daughters-in-law, and grand-daughters all in one place, all at one time. You do whatever you can to help your family, and always have their best interests at heart. Your home and hearts are always open, and truly that is a gift you give others! We love you guys!

Hillary--You are such a talented young woman! John and I so admire the woman you have become. Whether you are being the awesome professor you are, or climbing mountains, you always inspire others. You are an amazing sister and aunt! We know that whatever path you take in the next year, you will succeed! Love you!

Robyn--You are such a generous person, and we love you for that and so much more! It is so great to see you as a mom! You take everything in stride, dealing with everything that comes your way. You always give of yourself to others, whether that involves working on music for church or opening your house to us. Thanks for being such an awesome sister and aunt!

David--We always know that laughter will be in ample supply when you are around! Thank you so much for your sense of humor! You know just when to use it! :) And I know your niece absolutely loves you, whether you are swinging her around, carrying her on your shoulders, or playing "horsey." You are definitely a "fun uncle" and brother!

Jim--You have such a love for your family which is evident in how you provide for them, as well as how you interact with them. It is still a little strange to see you as a dad (I still remember you being 11 years old you know!), and we know you are a great one! You have most certainly grown into a man of integrity, which can be a rarity these days. Your niece certainly enjoyed her time with Uncle Jim! You are such a great brother and uncle!

Karisa--You have such a big heart, and you are such a loving mom! Seeing Angela light up when you enter a room is just one example of what a great mommy you are! I know from my own experience that it's one of the best things about being a parent! It is hard for me to believe we just met you two years ago. It seems that you've been a part of this family for much longer. We enjoy having you as a sister and aunt!




2 comments:

Hillary Clemens said...

Heather,

This was such a sweet post. Thank for expressing thoughts that I haven't typed yet. I can't believe how blessed all of us are to be in the same family, to get to have time with everyone accounted for, and to have such an amazing fit. There is never enough time.

God has been so good to us.

Thank you for being the wonderful sister in law you are. You are so key to making our get togethers happen. We needed someone with the event planning mentality, but beyond that it's clear that you live and breathe the philosophy of family first.

Thanks again for your post, for marrying my brother, for sharing yourself with us.

Love you.

Colleen Clemens said...

Awe Heather... you are so great. Thanks for being on the ball and sharing feelings for all of us. Yes, I wish we could have "Clemens Clan" time together so much more often, but I must agree.... in our short stints together, we make MEMORIES!
I think the part Dad and I love the most is watching our children enjoy each other. This year added an extra delight we weren't expecting: The joy of watching our children as parents interact with their other siblings who are also parents. Then throw into the mix savvy teachers and educators! The advice, questions, and antidotes was priceless. Call them Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters, whatever you like, but they all translate into hugs, laughs, food, horsey rides, pillow fights, giggles, food, jokes and.....way too many cameras!
Ohhhh....let me not forget the dogs! We are an animal loving family!
We are soooooooo blessed.
I want to thank everyone for coming and making this Thanksgiving (and my birthday) one I will cherish and never forget. We love you all so much! Mom & Dad

Followers