The holidays are coming at us fast. First, Thanksgiving. Then Christmas and the New Year will be here before we know it!
This year we will be traveling to Texas for Thanksgiving. As I think about that holiday, I have had many unique Thanksgivings. Most of the Thanksgivings I remember as a child were spent in my grandparents' butcher shop helping where I could. Deer season was in full swing during that time of year. We never actually had Turkey Day on Thursday; we waited until the weekend. Since then, I've made Thanksgiving dinner; had it at my parents' house complete with candlelight; and ate at restaurants on Thanksgiving. Each has been unique, and each has their own special memories for me.
Last Thanksgiving, I spent the night at Ruby Tuesday in Columbia, MO with my parents, grandma, Mackenna and my brother Andrew. This Thanksgiving I will be in Texas at my in-laws' house.
No matter how it's celebrated (or where), I really do take stock in Thanksgiving. It is a time for me to reflect on all God has given me. I think about all the things I am thankful for: first is my salvation and hope in Christ. Through Christ, I have received so many blessings! I am so blessed to have my husband and child, and the unconditional love I receive from them.
This year, I am in a very similar boat with much of America as I have lost my job due to the economic crisis our country is in. Thankfully John is a great provider! I am very thankful to his sacrifices as he works 6 days a week to support his family. I could not ask for a better husband and father!
It is because I am unemployed during this season this year that I have really reflected on simple things I am thankful for. Yet, they're not simple things. They are things way too many people take for granted. These things include food, heat in my house, running water, a bed to sleep in, a chair to sit in, a television to watch, and a van to drive. I just wish more of us would think about how good we have it. We are not sleeping on a bench, not freezing out in the cold, not begging for food, and not sleeping in a car. We have it made! And for that I am so thankful!
I hope everyone will put together a list this year of the many things they are thankful for!
How to add a Pinterest Widget to your blog
12 years ago






1 comment:
I love the pics on your webpage. Can't wait for you to get to the "in-laws". We are thankful you are part of our family. Thanksgiving should definately be used as a verb....Thanks for sharing. Love you all.
Post a Comment